|Project by Edward E Nock II||posted 02-04-2009 10:09 PM||1723 views||4 times favorited||6 comments|
This project started out as a cabinets on either side of the fireplace. Then they were expanded to be 19’- 41/2” total length, with a straight cornice. While the owner and I dicussed the looks of the cabinets, I suggested that arches would look better and give the cabinet some ellegance. This si where the “FUN” began.
Way back in my mind, I remembered a project in “Fine Home Building”, where curved mouldings were made with bent laminations. This was the approach I took, and I’ll try to explain.
My table saw blade is 1/8” thick, therefore , all the arch mouldings were in multipulls of 1/8” ,i.e. 2 1/4’’ & 1 1/2”. For each arch and/or curved moulding, it requires two (2) pieces. These two pieces were marked on their backs with either 1 or 2 stripes. I set the saw fence to the width of the moulding. Then I moved the fence 1/8” closer the blade and cut 1/8” off moulding #1. Then I moved the fence another 1/8”towards the blade and cut a 1/8” strip off moulding #2. This corresponds to the first cut on moulding #1. I repeated this process by: alternating mouldings #1 & #2: moving the fence 1/8” towards the blade after each cut, until both mouldings were reduced to a series of 1/8” strips. I reassembled the moulding strips starting with the first cut on moulding #2, then #1, #2,#1,#2…..........#1,#2,#1.
Before gule up, the strips were soaked in warm water, I did’t want any breakage. I clamped them in their form to dry. After a major mistake, of gluing up too many strips at a time, I went to gluing no more than 4 strips at a time, brad nailing to prevent slippage, and wiping the glue squeezeout at this time.
All the cabinet parts were prefabricated in my 22’ x 22’ shop and installed on site.
I hope I haven’t made my explaination too difficult. It’s easier to see, than explain.
Let’s talk, Ed Nock
-- ED NOCK