|Project by jumbojack||posted 03-15-2015 02:13 AM||1540 views||2 times favorited||10 comments|
I was cruzing the local markets discount basket and found a shoe shine kit marked down to $1.00. The zipper was broken on the plastic bag like thing that made up the kit. I knew I had a piece of curly maple about the right size for a box to house my new kit. The curl is really amazing in this piece. I resawed it and indeed had enough. The dividers were left overs from a pencil box ill post later. I went to my spalted Birch stash, this was a neighborhood tree that was neglected and all kinds of burrowing things took it over. I acquired it milled it all up and stashed it. I broke out and resawed a really nice piece and bookmatched it for the top. I got out my finger joint jig (thanks Ed Stiles) for the joinery. I should blog my jig as it is nearly foolproof, even for this old fool. The kit came with some little red plastic daubbers, but that wouldn’t do, so I cut some 1 1/2” discs and glued on a little handle, then rubber cemented the pried of sponges to the new handles. It got several coats of lacquer, my go to finish, rubbed out and waxed. I don’t really know what I’m going to do with it as I don’t wear shoes that need polish since I retired. Maybe a Christmas gift. Who knows.
Thanks for looking.
-- Made in America, with American made tools....Shopsmith