|Project by elbarneso||posted 03-12-2015 02:32 PM||2289 views||11 times favorited||10 comments|
I had some odd 8/4 walnut cutoffs laying around the shop, and I couldn’t decide what to do with them. I have never built a stool and have always needed one for playing guitar, so I thought this would be a good project. The main shape and seat glue-up was mostly decided by the pieces I had laying around. And that maple inlay on top was not originally planned, but rather was added later to cover-up seat scooping mistakes.
I also got a Festool Domino last year, but until this project never needed anything except 90 degree mortises, so this was a good opportunity to play with that as well. This also added angled clamping challenges, which I solved with some small wedges wrapped in masking tape.
The tapers on the legs were cut on my tablesaw with a taper jig I built from some leftover clamp parts. The jig is based on other taper jigs I have seen on LJ.
Overall I am happy with the shape and it is comfortable. The only thing I think I would change is lowering the front/back supports a little, mostly because of where I put my foot when playing, but it also might look better closer to the left/right support height.
I finished this stool with 2 coats of Tried and True Original Oil / Wax. I have used it on some other projects and love the way it looks and I don’t have problems applying it like some other folks have mentioned. I know it’s not very durable, but that’s ok with me for this project.