|Project by sandflea||posted 01-25-2009 07:15 AM||2494 views||3 times favorited||15 comments|
I found out about this contest about the same time about the same time I found out my niece was getting married. There wasn’t any furniture I needed at the moment so I decided to make an entry for this contest that would then become my niece’s wedding gift. Two birds with one stone plus some shop time, can’t beat that.
Once I decided what the project was for I then needed to decide what to make. I had some knotty alder left over from a previous project and since the focus of this category was knots I knew I had to use that lumber.
Ok, now I know what species to use, still no idea what to make.
After measuring what I had and trying to think what a newlywed couple would need I decided to go for a coffee table. I really like building coffee tables. They don’t take that much wood and everyone needs at least one.
Next on the list was the style. I wanted to push my skills envelope with this one but I didn’t know much about my niece’s taste. Well, after watching episodes 40 and 64 of the The Wood Whisperer and a few articles in Woodsmtih, Popular Woodworking and Fine Woodworking I decided on cabriole style legs. I got an idea from the Woodright Shop for a simple way to layout ovals so it would have an oval top and after reading about making a scratch stock plane (not sure that is the proper term but it makes sense to me) on The Village Carpenter blog I decided I wanted some hand-formed beading on the stretchers.
Then I started sketching.
When I finally settled on a design the real fun began. I didn’t have any 12/4 alder and my local lumber supplier didn’t have any so I laminated the leg blanks from 5 pieces of 4/4. Then, needing to have perfect symmetry I rotated the blanks 45 degrees and rejointed/planed them to a smaller square so that the gluelines would be evenly space from the outer spine of the legs.
I rough-cut the legs with my jigsaw and then went to town with a few rasps, files and my orbital sander to get the legs to shape.
On the top I put a 1/4” roundover along the bottom and them some sort of Freud roman ogee or something along the top. The knots were all filled with slow-setting epoxy tinted with a raw umber oil based artist’s paint. The epoxy is slightly translucent so you can just barely see the interior of the knots, kinda like looking into a cave. I was lucky enough to get several very nice knots on the table top
For the stretchers I cut them so they are curved in two planes. I made a curved scratch stock plane to make the beading along the lower curve. I haven’t perfected it’s usage yet, but I think it turned out ok. I was able to get some pretty great knots centered on one of the long and one of the short stretchers.
With the stretchers made I joined them to the legs with mortise and tenons. I added a screw covered with a square walnut plug at each corner for good measure.
I sanded the whole thing to 150 grit and gave it a good coat of 1lb clear shellac to try and control blotching. Then I hit it with some General Finishes Antique Walnut gel stain. With that dry I continued with 3 coats of a 1/3 BLO, 1/3 Mineral Spirits and 1/3 poly mix sanding to 320 between coats. Then I topped that with 3 more coats of 1/2 poly and 1/2 mineral spirits with a drop of the same raw umber paint I used to tint the epoxy. With that all dry I then hit the whole thing with some 2500 grit Mirka Mirlon to buff it a little.
All in all it was a very fun project and I learned alot. I really liked shaping the legs. I’m not 100% satisfied with the results, but I never am. If you get really bored I posted a video on my site of the whole process of laying out, cutting and shaping the legs. It’s about 30 minutes long and pretty dry, but if you want to try your hand at cabriole legs it may be of some use. Watch it HERE.
Hope you like it!
-- Sawdust is life