|Project by dannorocks||posted 03-06-2015 07:40 AM||2625 views||5 times favorited||9 comments|
Well I’m new the the forum here, but not so new to wood working. My wife and I bought a new house and she wanted plantation shutters. After we got a quote from a local shop I decided to take on the task with the help from Rockler. Using their 3 1/2” hidden control arm kit, hardware and lumber I made out quite well and am very happy with the finished product. So far I’ve made 14 for our house and have six left that I’ll make. I have a few eyebrow shaped transom windows that I’m going to wait and think of how I’ll make them or just leave them alone. I used the same stain our cabinets were stained with (Sherwin Williams wiping stain) to match and used Minwax Oil Based Satin Polyurethane to finish. I took small picture frame eye hooks and open the eye’s up and put them in the spot where I’d drill the louver pins to hang the slats, rails etc… to dry after wiping on stain or poly. Used 1/2” dowels to assemble using Titebond III wood glue. I also had to build a frame around each window to to have a hang strip for the shutters, I could have made an internal one that looks frameless, but my wife wanted the moulding wrapped around the window that is the same as the paint grade moulding that is below the window sill.
Hope you all enjoy them, as you’ll see I made a few without a middle rail, and others with a middle rail. It was quite a learning process but I’ve come to learn if you put your mind to it and take your time the end result can be quite rewarding (my wife is quite pleased!).