|Project by LJackson||posted 03-06-2015 03:48 AM||3042 views||10 times favorited||7 comments|
This is my entry for the “Daily Top 3.” The funny thing is, while researching the creation of this super-duper fancy push block, all of the other ones people made all made it into the “Daily Top 3.”
I roughly followed one set of plans, just to get the dimensions, but for the details I just came up with them on my own. I realize now the T-track should have extended to the sides. Also, I made a mistake with the placement of the bolts in the side for the side-car. They were too low, and I could not raise the side-car above the bottom when not in use.
It is made from shop-grade plywood, and some scrap 2×4 wood. The handles were cut out on the bandsaw, and rounded over with a 1/2 inch bit in the router. The grippy bottom is neoprene rubber, 1/8 inch thick. I found a sheet of it on Amazon for I think $14.
I found a number of people with issues screwing in T-track, and ending up cutting down their bolts to fit above the screw heads. Well, I’m here to tell you, an 11/32 inch drill bit can carve out a counter sink for a one inch drywall screw head to sit flush to the bottom of the track. $5 at your favorite box store. I didn’t like the idea of the bolts getting hung up on the screws.
The knobs were made on the drill press. I used my small compass (thanks to John Heisz) to mark out the circles on some scrap 1×3 pine wood, and to mark out six spots around the circle into which I drilled small holes. Then I used my hole saw to cut out the knob. I think I could do better with a jig, as I had to carve out some of the depressions with a file afterward.
I did have some fiddly issues getting the height just right with the three “legs.” Some careful cuts on the table saw rectified those. The neoprene is very grippy. I feel much safer now with small parts, and I feel more accurate, ensuring the piece stays tight to the fence, and doesn’t wander into the blade.