|Project by NICUTO||posted 01-23-2009 07:42 PM||10360 views||5 times favorited||6 comments|
I recently completed this piece for my boss’ daughter’s Christmas present. She has always played the cello and has recently gotten back into it. Previously it was awkwardly leaning in a corner of the room. This was an interesting project in that I had a difficult time coming up with a concept/design. This is because the cello was at her house and I was only able to sneak in for a few quick measurements while she was out. With projects like this I typically like to have a constant reference.
The piece has no fasteners. The feet are joined with a pair of loose tenons and the backbone is let into the foot assembly and the neck rest with integral tenons. As seen below.
I cut the lower support as you would a cove molding on the table saw. Then added a block above it for extra back support of the cello.
The joint for the lower support to the backbone is a bridal joint. seen here:
All in all, this was a very interesting, fun and challenging project. And she was very surprised and she liked it so much that she has now asked me to build one for her brother-in-law as a wedding gift. I plan to begin that one with a week or so once my build schedule opens up a little more.
EDIT: I forgot to tell you about the finish….. its sprayed shellac rubbed out with steel wool. I belive i got about 6-7 coats on it.
Thanks for looking!
-- Nick, Maine; www.nwbwoodworks.com/blog