|Project by HarleySoftailDeuce||posted 01-22-2009 10:56 PM||10392 views||2 times favorited||16 comments|
This is my first woodworking project; kitchen cabinets. So far, I’ve managed to build 3 base cabinets and now I’m tackling the cherry face frames. I’m dadoing and gluing…simple and strong. I guess someday I’ll try biscuits and other skills, but I have to start somewhere. It should be a challenging Winter in my basement woodshop.
I’ve got heat, and plenty of tools!
I’ve been reading lots about how to build the doors. I guess I’ll try the cope & stick method. I do have coping rail sets by Freud with 1/2 ” shank. (no deflection).
For finishing the carcasses, I have decided on Minwaxs’ Polyshades oil base product. I believe it is harder and more durable than water based products.
The more I read, sometimes the more confused I get. For finishing the cherry face frames & doors, I’m still up in the air. I’m still digesting lots of information.
If anyone has a suggestion, I’m open to suggestions.
I used a drill guide to be sure the center hole for the indexing sled was perfectly vertical. The lazy Susan is large; 32”.
If anyone wants information on how to create a multiple sided border (similar to this) I can help.
Now that the Summer is at an end, the weather is dry enough to do the finishing outdoors, where the fumes will not be an issue.
Well, I managed to add the indexed cherry border to one of the 2 shelves. Now I have to fill the indexed holes with dark dowels, lightly sand wipe clean, and poly them.
-- Paul, Bristol,Rhode Island