|Project by sepeck||posted 03-03-2015 04:10 AM||1089 views||0 times favorited||7 comments|
The knife itself is walnut and is the 5th design I attempted. It was rather frustrating for a bit both on design and finish so I ended up learning quite a bit. I got some inspiration from SHaneA's Awl and Marking knife swap on the handle shape so tossed the attempt number 4 and ended up happy with number 5.
Finishing I ran into some frustration because it simply wasn’t as smooth as I thought it should be. The awesome part of being in the swap was all the advice you can get while doing this so I got some. The finishing ended up sanding progressively from 150, 240, 320, 400, 600, 800 grit sandpaper with mineral oil. Then went to 0000 steel wool and oil. I had some Mylands hybuild friction polish and then waxed it.
The screw driver was a bonus item (big leaf maple handle finished the same way). I intend to order some of those micro mesh sheets for higher grit sanding in the future.
The swap was fun and really pushed me in areas I hadn’t planned on going yet so I picked up some neat new skills and ideas. I also have learned about some areas I need to work on which is also a good thing to know. If you haven’t joined a tool swap yet, you really should try one. Lots of fun and it can challenge you in a good way.
This was the one I discarded. (It went on to became a test handle for some knitting tool my wife has)
This was oiled and sanded down to 300grit. I was kind of frustrated at this point. That’s when I got good advice
I experimented on the waste part, which was good since experimenting on the piece itself leads to disaster.
-- -Steven Peck, http://www.blkmtn.org