|Project by mtalley||posted 03-02-2015 12:32 PM||838 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
This weekend I finished up a lathe project I started in early February – I made a couple of stools out of a hunk of oak tree that was cut after a storm in our village. They are about 15.5″ (39cm) tall and 10″ (26cm) around and getting it that way pushed my Chinese lathe to its absolute max. It walked all over the floor when I first started it up – hence the kettle bells thrown on the middle shelf to add mass. It super did not like the out of balance logs. It would have been fine at a slower speed, but the slowest my lathe goes is 400 RPM and that is too fast for this size project. I managed, but there was lots of starting and stopping.
I really like both how the turned out and how comfy they are to sit on – just the right height for a quick stop-and-rest. The log has been sitting for 5 months with painted ends and was still VERY wet. I covered the finished stools in wax so they wouldn’t crack in half and maybe dry a little slower. I then wrapped them loosely in brown paper and put them up on a shelf in the GROP to dry. I will add bow-tie joint if needed as they dry out and split, maybe out of some walnut that I have. They will make a nice addition to my home office in a year or so.
-- Matt at: www.drivenoutside.com/blog