|Project by HickoryHill||posted 03-01-2015 09:31 PM||4566 views||51 times favorited||32 comments|
This thing really sucks……but doesn’t. I’ve had this on my list to build for probably the last 6 or 7 years and finally got around to building it over the month of February.
About 6 years ago I acquired an old 4 speed commercial furnace blower from my uncle when he was doing a HVAC remodel for his church. The 20amp outlet is first in line and I use it to connect sanders to. This then feeds the 60 minute spring wound timer which control the 3 switches that are wired to Low, Med/Low and High speeds.
Overall dimensions are; 49 ½”W x 34 3/8”D x 33 15/16”H.
The top is ¼” peg board and air/dust is drawn down through and across angled plywood to the downdraft chamber where it passes through a 20”x20”x1” Filtrete 600 pleated filter and then through a Filtrete 1900 pleated filter. Air comes out a 14”x14” cold air return vent. Most the time I can get away using the lowest speed during sanding. It also seems to work well as a shop filter. Makes me wonder if I need the ceiling mounted shop filter anymore. The peg board rests on 1/16” thick aluminum angle iron and is just held in by gravity and the weight of the loose peg board top. Thus I can easily change out the filters as needed without any tools.
The cabinet carcass is ¾” pre-finished birch ply from Menards. While great for shop projects, be careful sanding it as the veneer face is very thin. Door fronts and all trim is walnut we got in at work and I had milled up. I was planning on using strips to maple to hide the plywood edges at each end of the cabinet but ended up making essentially the equivalent of angle iron out of the walnut and pin nailed it on the edges. I think it dresses it out nicely. The top is framed in ¾” walnut and is spaced off the carcass by ¾” ply to make a 1 ½” overhang. My thinking was maybe I would need clamp something to it at some point. It doesn’t make too bad of a work surface either.
All the drawers are 12”W x 22”L with the top two being 5 3/8”D and the bottom being 10”D. The drawers are made of ½” Baltic birch ply and are simply rabbeted corners with glue. For the bottoms I used ¼” birch ply. All ride on 100# ball bearing slides. The top drawer has a front to back divider and individual dividers to create spaces for 5” orbital sander discs. The middle drawer is routed for a center divider but only has a full width divider in it to create a front and back section.
The cabinet rides on swivel casters with the two front ones being Total Lock casters, locking both the wheel and the spin of the caster. The casters are 3 ½” Colson Series 2 Performa with Delrin Bearing casters from the Caster Depot. They are rated at 225# per caster. I have used these casters on probably 11 different projects here and at work.
Overall I am very happy with its performance and love the outfeed function of it as well.
When I attached the fan to the cabinet I was worried about squeaks/etc caused by the blower and cabinet rubbing together so I installed a 3/4” high density rub strip around the opening and then used rubber washers for the screws holding the unit to the cabinet. As well to help hold up the blower of the floor of the cabinet I did use some more rubber stripping there as well.
Added 3/8” slots every 3” on center (last picture)
-- Jim, Michigan