|Project by Blair Helgason||posted 01-20-2009 05:50 AM||3426 views||6 times favorited||10 comments|
My wife and I recently moved into our first home. Our biggest problem right now is storage.
Hence… the Window Seat.
With no linen closet, a suitable place for blankets and towels had to be made. Also, there was a lot of wasted space under the window.
I started with some scrap 1/2 plywood and made the inner structure including two dividing walls. I then skinned the outside with 3/4 and 1/4 MDF and lined the inside with some old paneling that the previous homeowners left behind. I had to use overlay hinges because of the MDF’s weak end grain. As for finishing, I just patched it with drywall compound and painted it.
After a month or two I started to get a little cracking along the edges. I’m assume that happened because of the movement of the house and I made the bench a friction fit between the wall and half wall. In retrospect that probably wasn’t the smartest thing to do but, live and learn. It’s still very functional and looks pretty good.