|Project by suebee||posted 01-19-2009 10:31 PM||5663 views||6 times favorited||17 comments|
Okay. We started back June of last year. It took some time to tear up the old linoleum floor and subfloor and pull off all of the kitchen cabinet doors. All the while we were cutting down all of our tiles which were Douglas Fir 4 X 4 from 16 foot beams. We have over 3000 tiles but plan to do another room as well. We have all of the doors degreased and are getting ready to strip them and there are a lot of cabinets! That is going to take some time. We degreased and stripped all of the cabinet frames and they are ready for sanding once we start the floor. We thought we would make one big mess all at once. Since then we tore off all of the knotty pine off of the walls and plastered, textured and painted the walls. Lot of plastering to do there and we added a piece over the kitchen sink. I am going to post more pictures once I have this posting done. We decided that we didn’t want to get rid of all of knotty pine we took off the walls and my son Steve had the idea of making knotty pine tiles for the ceiling with them. The only thing is we were short of tiles. So we bought new knotty pine planks and made them as well but they were considerally lighter so we decied to do a random checkerboard style ceiling. The only problem is the new tiles are bowing a bit and we haven’t figured out how to get them flat in the ceiling frames. Believe it or not we actually had problems getting 2 foot T grids because home depot couldn’t find them in three different stores! Finally had to go to Lowe’s. The ceiling was 2 X 4 we changed it to 2 X 2. And we painted the grid white. So ceiling is done so far until we install the three Amber wrought iron lights that will come last. (We got a super deal on the lights on ebay. They listed as 300.00 and we got them for 2 for $25.00 ea and one bigger one for $40.00! I will show you pics eventually.)
Then we pulled a 4’ X 8’ piece of the floor so we could shave off the top of the beam so the floor would be more level. The beams are old and large 12 X 12, so 1/4 ” would not have hurt and did a world of good to improve the leveling of the floor. We had a hump running across the floor and didn’t want problems later on. We did use some leveling compound on some of the areas as well. So with the hump removed, the ceiling somewhat done, cabinets ready for sanding, we finally started to lay the tiles. We only have about a 5 X 4 area left to do and then we have to do the custom perimeter tiles. The kitchen is an L shape. We were hoping to be ready to sand next weekend. At the recommedation of another lumber jock, Tom, we used Bruce Equalizer adhesive. Tom helped us a lot with all of our questions and watching his post was a huge help in building our confidence! Thank you TOM! :) So this is what we have so far. I only posted 3 pics cuz that is all it said we could add for now, so as soon as I figure out how to manuever the web site more I will post more pics.
We would love your input on our project. Please don’t hestate to tell what you think, good or bad! Thank you!