|Project by doubleDD||posted 02-26-2015 06:05 PM||4733 views||27 times favorited||38 comments|
Before I get in to this let me tell you I built this primary for the lathe but I can see this being used for other bench tools also.
This started with my dust chute (big gulp) being mounted on a roller stand for use with my lathe. It worked out OK but when I needed to use it for another power tool, I had to disconnect and move it. Besides it was taking up valuable floor space and that I don’t have. I locked myself in the shop the other day and was not coming out till I had it mounted to the lathe stand.
Well that was too simple. After finishing I took a look and said it would be great if I could slide it left or right to catch more dust on bigger blanks. I saw I had some Miter channel and Miter slider as you can see in the picture below and put it to good use. I though of making a dovetail slide out of wood but was afraid the sawdust would jam it up. The Miter channel I had was 32’’ which if fine now, but if I get the bed extension, I will have to upgrade to a 48’’.
It worked out well and I sat back to admire it. Then I said how about having an adjustable height on it. Built a U shape frame with with some slots and knobs and mounted it to the original frame. At the same time I realized it it will now tilt also. Wow, now I really felt good about myself. Miller time, here we come.
But I started to think since I will be using this strictly for my lathe why not come up with a way for moving it in or out from the work piece to catch even more dust. So here we go again. I took the 2 boards I had screwed to the lathe stand to hold my framed chute up and installed a couple pieces of t-track, enough to cover the capacity of my lathe which is 16’’. So I made them 9’’ long which is plenty.
I have been testing this for a couple days now and it’s wonderful. I set the chute for the height of the blank, set it back just enough to clear it, tilt it to any desired angle as needed and slide it left or right for the length of the blank. I am very happy the way it turned out especially that now I can catch a lot more dust and chips.
I would be willing to do a blog on this if there is any interest. It’s pretty self explanatory, but if you have questions, please ask. I have more pictures if needed. The total cost would be about $40-50, and that’s mostly for the miter and slider but if you go with a dovetail slide and made your own wood knobs the cost other than wood would be nothing. Thanks for looking.
-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.