|Project by kolwdwrkr||posted 01-18-2009 04:18 AM||1973 views||5 times favorited||18 comments|
Well I don’t typically make things like this but here it is. I normally do the whole fall season thing with the branches and what not. This is the first celtic pattern I’ve come up with. I did find a pattern with 3 wings that I kind of mimicked. Those are kind of difficult to draw up and have everything symetrical and the same. So I doubt this is perfect. The way I see it is that you either like this or you don’t. I’m not sure there is a medium like there is with most things. It’s weird like that. Anyhow I used 12/4 alder and assembled it with box joints. Then after the box was assembled I cut the shape on the bandsaw and sanded it with the spindle sander. I still need to put velvet and hinges. But it’s pretty much done. For the finish I used targets Oxford shellac and lacquer finish. The material is Alder with a birdseye maple inlay. I wish there had been more birdseye in the birdseye but what can you do. I didn’t have any sand to shade with so I tried to use a burner. Well It looks okay but not really “shaded” as much as it’s “highlighted”. Oh well. Win some lose some. This piece is for sale and will be posted at www.azuremoons.etsy.com if anyone has interest. Thanks for looking and any and all criticism is welcome.
-- ~ Inspiring those who inspire me ~