|Project by scruboak51||posted 02-22-2015 09:31 PM||1399 views||0 times favorited||11 comments|
First major project after a bit of a hiatus from the hobby; a combination of being busy with the office job, busy working around the house and a focus on welding and fabrication.
I found this old treadle at a local church run thrift shops. At $50 it was a bit pricey; but here in Southern California, these are not easy to come by.
The top is scrub oak, (probably Quercus Xacutidens). It came from a tree on my property that burned and died in one of the large wildfires. It had been standing dead for a number of years before I decided to fell it and get the lumber milled.
This is my third piece of furniture from that tree. Nothing too complex about the construction. Used a router jig to flatten and get rid of the milling marks; then used my circular saw to joint the wood. The intent was for a reverse live edge. It took a bit too much out of the center, but that is how it goes sometimes.
For the finish, I sanded to 500 grit with an ROS, applied 2 coats of BLO, followed by a good 6 coats of wipe on poly. Felt good to be back in the shop and knock an easy project out.