LumberJocks

Shop Vac Cart with Dust Deputy

  • Advertise with us
Project by Rayne posted 02-21-2015 02:28 AM 9170 views 15 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch

This is my slightly modified Shop Vac Cart that Jay Bates made recently. You can watch his video here: http://www.jayscustomcreations.com/2015/01/make-a-shopvac-and-cyclone-shop-cart/
Actually, the only thing really modified is the height. I’m still debating whether to put something near the top to relieve the stress at the dust deputy. It wouldn’t be hard to install if I needed to. Anyways, this thing is fantastic. By going vertical, I save some valuable floor space while being able to drag around the vac to all of my tools in one piece. I don’t have to worry about picking up the bucket and pulling on the vac anymore.
Oddly enough, majority of my remnants pieces from my Drill Press table and my mis-cuts for my drill press cabinet turned out to be almost EXACTLY the pieces I needed for my Shop vac cart. It was the weirdest thing…I barely trimmed the pieces for the majority of the assembly. I look forward to getting good use out of this. Let me know what you think. Thanks for looking.

Base trimmed from existing piece

Sides and back of base cut and base assembled.

Main support beams from my Drill Press cabinet mis-cuts trimmed and assembled.

Shop Vac and Bucket support cut. I also built the Beam Compass Jay used so I could get a good radius laid out on the ply. It works great, but I need to sharpen the bolt a little more.

Oops…the bucket support didn’t work out. When I measured the radius, I read it from the Outside of the square, instead of the inside that was touching the bucket. All I did to fix it was measure the point at which the curve was the correct width of the bucket, marked it, and used the remant radius cut to get exact cuts to fill in the sides. Oddly enough, this was much better, because it forced the bucket further back and I needed that clearance to get to the power switch on my Vac. Sometimes it just works out that way.

Supports made for the vac and bucket supports.

Basic assembly and test fit to see how everything would work out.

Test fit of the actual equipment. Not bad.

Accessory supports created and installed. This took a lot longer than I thought it would. Thanks to a hole saw that had teeth that was bent outwards, I didn’t have to modify the holes to fit the 2-1/2” accessories. The 1-1/2” was another story…

Accessories fully loaded. Extension supports installed. It’s a little tight, but it comes out easily enough.

And the complete view.





7 comments so far

View NormG's profile

NormG

5506 posts in 2468 days


#1 posted 02-21-2015 03:28 AM

Great build nicely done

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View Hawaiilad's profile

Hawaiilad

2896 posts in 2485 days


#2 posted 02-21-2015 07:15 AM

I really like it, and I agree you should have some support to the top of the dust deputy

-- Larry in Hawaii,

View Roger's profile

Roger

19868 posts in 2268 days


#3 posted 02-21-2015 01:10 PM

Very nice storage and mobility.

-- Roger from KY. Work/Play/Travel Safe. Keep your dust collector fed. Kentuk55@yahoo.com

View pjr1's profile

pjr1

26 posts in 678 days


#4 posted 02-21-2015 05:34 PM

Good job I like it! I had the same concern about strain relief at the top of the DD and just routing the hose thru the bucket handle helps a lot. I went the extra mile and put an elbow at the top. It’s rubber and made for turbocharger intercoolers and cost about $30 from Pegasus Racing.

View McDustmaker's profile

McDustmaker

52 posts in 759 days


#5 posted 02-21-2015 06:09 PM

Nicely done. Jay would be proud!!!

-- Richard, Temple, GA.....If I smell of sawdust then I was having fun

View Zaphod07's profile

Zaphod07

38 posts in 690 days


#6 posted 02-21-2015 07:40 PM

I need to do this.

View Rayne's profile

Rayne

470 posts in 1003 days


#7 posted 02-22-2015 07:53 AM

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I took the stress relief suggestion and made it a reality. Here are some minor upgrades I did today. Thank you. :)

$2 PVC elbow from Lowes. What a perfect fit and stress relief for the top. Thanks for the suggestions!

2nd stress relief for the primary collection hose. 3” hole is a perfect fit for this. Now the hose won’t pull enough to stress the top like before.

I have plenty of these brackets so I made good use of it. It didn’t fit initially, so I made an L bracket from a flat aluminum strip I had leftover; works great and keeps the hose in place.

And finally, this is not really an upgrade bit a nice tip. If you make this, the 2-1/2” holes make a GREAT temporary holder for the hose collection. I just wanted to put the hose down for a second to move a few things around to clean up further, so this was the perfect solution.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com