|Project by jnimz||posted 01-12-2009 10:13 PM||1320 views||2 times favorited||2 comments|
I’ve posted three of these so far, and they’ve all been of solid blocks of wood, so I thought I’d try my hand at a laminated piece or two. This was the first of the laminated pieces. My experience with wood glue in the 7th and 8th grades (due to going to a poor school) was not so positive. We rarely had shop projects that would hold together for more than a week.
For these laminates, I used Titebond III, and I am extremely impressed. I’ve seen the wood shear before the glue joints failed. This piece is laminated purpleheart, maple and walnut. I intentionally turned this one off center, so the laminate wasn’t in a uniform direction or thickness when the piece was finished. Unfortunately, there was a bit of tear out on the purpleheart, due to dull tools.
As with the other ball winders, this one is for my wife to sell in her Etsy Shop Online.
The major change I made to the laminate pieces to follow was during finishing. The first three solid wood pieces were finished using paste wax, and tung oil that I applied while the lathe was at finishing speed, and then buffed. For this piece, I thought I’d try just some mineral oil, and some “wet” sanding. I stopped the lathe, and applied a generous coat of mineral oil, and let that soak in for an hour. I brought the lathe back up to finishing speed, and applied another coat of mineral oil, then sanded with steel wool, and then did a final buffing using 100% cotton rags (t-shirt material)