LumberJocks

Toddler Bed Part 2

  • Advertise with us
Project by McLeanVA posted 2053 days ago 2197 views 2 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch

This is part 2 of a previous post.

I took an inventory of remaining pine I had and went out and bought some pine bead-board (not really sure what it’s technically called) and started on the headboard and side rails. I had to take a few notes into consideration: The first, and most important, is that the bed has to be safe and not allow my child to fall out in the middle of the night, and the second is that it has to be sturdy enough to handle very rambunctious kids. Function won over form.

I created the headboard using 3/4 oak ply and wrapped both vertical edges with 3/4 pine strips. I routed some more cove molding. Then I ripped a strip of pine that would allow for some overlap for the top piece. I cut the bead-board strips to fit into the opening (on top of oak ply) and glued/clamped them down. I figured brads would be overkill. Then I went to work on cutting smaller strips of bead-board to cover the recesses on all four sides of the bed frame. Makes for a nice match to the headboard. Then I cut the two long side rails and mitered them off at the ends at 30 degrees. I used a roll of duct tape to trace the rounded arc and sanded until smooth.

Here’s where my typical over anxious ‘cut THEN measure’ actions got me into a bit of trouble. I drilled my peg holes on the headboard (to joint the side rails) in the wrong location, as you can see from the headboard photo. Doh! Well, I was able to drive small wood screws into the botched holes and cap them with a bit of wood putty. Total rookie mistake.

I wasn’t feeling confidant enough in my engineering ability (plus my wife cut off the budget) to build a removable headboard so I went with doweling them into place. I glued the side boards to the headboard first creating a “U” shaped unit. Then after that set up, I dropped the entire piece onto the bed frame and glued/clamped. I checked the joints 12 hours later and they are pretty rock solid. Next steps are to sand, sand, sand and then paint.

Can anyone out there give me some advice? I’ve heard a lot of great things about Milk Paint. Read about it on Rockler as well. This bed is made of pine and I have some left-over Kilz from a ceiling disaster last year. Would you recommend that I coat the bed in Kilz before painting with Milk paint? Is pine super-absorbent? My ideal for this job is to have a semi-gloss white covering that resists as much as my kids can throw at it. I don’t have a sprayer so will most likely have to roll/brush these coats on. Thanks in advance for the reply.

Project Update ยป

-- Measure, cut, curse, repeat.





2 comments so far

View woodworm's profile

woodworm

14125 posts in 2222 days


#1 posted 2053 days ago

I believe its a nice project. Very eager to see it finished.
Great work McLean.

-- masrol, kuala lumpur, MY.

View spike's profile

spike

66 posts in 2561 days


#2 posted 2050 days ago

looks awesome so far. great design.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase