|Project by Doug S.||posted 01-12-2009 01:52 AM||1600 views||0 times favorited||1 comment|
I just cut the top off some boxes
and there was a prize in every box
I started these straight edge cases before the holidays and pulled some boards from the No-Kill Wood Shelter. The long one is a piece of macacauba and the short one leftover purpleheart from my bench build. After jointing/planing, both were a hair shy of my target thickness. Since it twas the season I decked the walls with boughs of holly (fa la la la la well la dee da). Then replaned that and routed out the center. Here’s one of my helpers inspecting the work so far
Then lined it with 1/4” self-stick wool felt.
Drillied 4 holes for 1/8” dowels as alignment pins for gluing the halves together. Then decided I sort of liked the look of that and put more 1/8” dowels in after glue-up. Then hand planed everything, rounded over the edges and stuck 3 coats of shellac on them.
Still need to square up the cap ends a skosh, put some 1/8” rare earth rod magnets in the cap and case, and attach a leather strap to keep the cap tethered to the case.
-- Use the fence Luke