|Project by rwyoung||posted 01-11-2009 09:44 PM||4773 views||16 times favorited||8 comments|
I was browsing through the projects here and I came across a couple of other home-built air filter units. I made this one based on a plan from ShopNotes (at least I think it was ShopNotes, I can’t find it now).
The idea is to use three filters, two pre-filter and one post-filter. As the first filter gets clogged, the filters are marched “forward” with the post filter being replaced by a new one. This is sized for 12×24 furnace filters. So far it I have noticed quite a difference, at least when I remember to turn it on.
I made a few small changes to their plan in the handles and in the way the blower is wired, mine has a fuse on the hot lead as well as a pull cord switch.
The fun part was hanging the darn thing, it weights a a lot being made from mostly 3/4” ply. It hangs in the garage and when the door goes up, it just clears the bottom of the box by a few inches.
I haven’t bothered with any precise calculations to see what the flow rate. This was a “something is better than nothing” situation. Combined with a mask when I’m making fine dust and chips and left to run for a while afterwards it does a great job. At least the intake filter cloggs up in short order! :)
-- Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.