|Project by jdh122||posted 02-15-2015 08:22 PM||1576 views||4 times favorited||4 comments|
My new bed. Made from yellow birch, except for the posts, which I turned on my springpole lathe out of some kind of maple that a neighbor had cut down. I think it might be Norway maple, it certainly was lighter and weaker than the birch boards (so not sugar maple). I split them out of the log and turned them green. But they went extremely oval as they dried and I’ve discovered since that I can turn kiln-dried wood just fine on my alcohol-powered lathe, so I’m not sure that green is worth the bother. I know that the turning is pretty basic, no beads or coves, but I’m still a beginner turner. Plus I like the simple, plain look.
The maple was so much lighter in color than the birch that I decided to use orange shellac rather than tung oil and to put more coats on the legs. Took a lot of coats, padded on, but the result is a really nice finish after buffing it with steel wool and applying paste wax. This may be my new go-to finish.
It was very difficult to do the mortises in the round legs. Chopped the first one with chisels and then did the three others with brace and auger followed by chisels. I got the mortises mostly at 90 degrees from each other and in the middle of the legs, but I see why people often leave part of the leg square to receive the tenons. I scribed the rails to fit around the posts, but it was hard to eliminate the gaps entirely (see photo). It might have been easier with scribing (in-canel) gouges rather than regular carving gouges, but I have enough superfluous rarely-used tools as it is without buying these.
Thanks for looking.
-- Jeremy, in the Acadian forests