|Project by PhilosopherSteve||posted 02-15-2015 05:33 PM||1374 views||12 times favorited||4 comments|
Here are a couple of tea boxes i recently finished. Before Christmas a friend asked if I wanted a stack of walnut bead board he had pulled out of a house that he couldn’t keep since he was moving. I hemmed and hawed, but I’m glad I took it. I have to plane and cut it down and it’s fairly narrow stock (about 4 1/2” useable) but that’s great for small boxes.
I made 4 of these boxes, one of which was going to my wife and the other 3 were slated for my Etsy shop. One of these 3 made it to the shop as friends grabbed up the other 2.
These are finished with Danish Oil, wiping poly and wax. The splines and dividers are maple (not reclaimed).
This turned out to be a good opportunity to try out some new things (and some great tips from BoxGuy Al). I pre-sandier and finished the insides prior to glue up. I also built a spline jig.
Hinges became my big frustration. I tried a mortised butt hinge first, but those are rather difficult to align well and I used a cheaper hinge and didn’t like the fit/movements. Then I ordered some nice looking surface hinges but they were far too weak. Then I found the more stout surface hinges that work well but have no built in stop. Then I added a chain to one box but didn’t like how it layed on the dividers/tea bag. So, I opted to go without a support. Hinges are definitely an area I want to work on for future boxes.
Things to do better – get a new flat top blade for cutting the spline grooves (I had some tiny gaps). Work on better hinges. I already have the drawings for the next set of boxes in progress!