|Project by Rayne||posted 02-15-2015 01:47 AM||17372 views||67 times favorited||27 comments|
Here another project down the drain. This is the Woodsmith-based drill press table. For once, it’s almost exactly like what the plan asked for, except the crank handles and one unique solution to a problem I wasn’t expecting. It is huge , but does fit well with the drill press. I look forward to making full use of this almost immediately. I welcome any comments, concerns, or critiques. Thanks for looking.
Base glued and cut to shape.
1 T-Track installed (my 3/4” router bit isn’t 3/4”...that made routing the grooves VERY tricky)
Lock shaft support block
Apron test fit with bushing for height adjustment
Testing fit on Drill Press
Fence created, along with stop block and all the support blocks
Table installed on DP. Looks good. Notice the missing T-track…I had a plan to cannibalize my HF drill press table T-track, but it turns out those things are MUCh bigger than the Rockler ones, so I had to order another from Rockler.
Gear 1 installed. This is where the unexpected problem came to be. You’ll see the reason and solution in a later pic.
Steel Shaft made, by hand via hacksaw, to accept lock pin screw.
Testing fit of the lock pin. Not bad of a fit. :)
Height adjustment shaft installed. 2nd gear is secured via a tension pin. Shaft collar is holding the shaft in place to prevent movement along gears. And now the problem…notice the spring clip (I think that’s what they’re called) sticking out behind the first gear? Well, apparently, that shaft moves in and out when you make height adjustments; mostly going down. Since the gear is not that big and I measure everything flush to the END of the shaft, I had a 1/8” gap to fill to prevent that in and out movement. I couldn’t install washers because the assembly is NOT removable without causing some damage, so the spring clips were my solution and it’s working perfectly.
2nd T-track installed, height adjustment handle installed. Not liking this solution right now, but I’ll figure something out. I tried something different and it may not pan out. We’ll see. (the height adjustment works well, just so you know)
Old crank handle from the height adjustment on the same Drill press reassigned as crank handle for the lock screw. Hand filed a 5/8” steel bar to 1/2” to fit that handle. Hated it…
Lock shaft installed and working flawlessly.
And finally the insert. Just rotate when you want a clean surface. I have a template to make many more. These are super easy to make with the template.
And the completed table