|Project by Luddite||posted 02-14-2015 02:59 PM||2472 views||10 times favorited||13 comments|
A few years back, well ten actually, I decided to build not one but two Morris Chairs from the Argentine Mesquite I had. Gee, what a cool idea. We already a few other mesquite pieces so why not these?
Having built some stickley pieces from the book shown above and this photo. I can do this, sure.Things actually did work out but it took months to do as I was on the road at least 30+ weeks a year.
Some of the problems I encountered were:
- This mesquite is a killer to work with. Heavy heavy…..
- I’d decided to make changes. Oops! The legs were made to slough at the ends, rails to be curved, lots of through tenons to deal with.
- I decided to make two.
Other fun changes and unexpected conditions.
- Made the arms to be less then 4 inches in width. Don’t ask me why.
The backs about 6 inches lower. Didn’t want it to look like an ‘orthopedic’ chair or an electric one. Sort of a low rider.
- The arms, always the arms, bent look was made by cutting from front bottom edge to a point 6 inches back on the top portion of the arm. Then taking the cut piece, flipping it, and gluing to the bottom. Well this worked but rather looked ugly. Had to do some plastic surgery on these ends.
- Tried to make the post tenons pass through and not use an end cap. Hey, Gus said it’d work. I ended up trimming the post’s tenon and capped it.
- Just the scope of it all.
The end result was good as long as you don’t look too close.
Here’s how it looks now. You can see the ‘boys’ are quite happy with it. We finished the cushions with a faux leather. When sitting in these chairs it gradually allows you to sink in…...
-- T Loftus -- Just on the edge of common sense