|Project by jstudebaker||posted 02-13-2015 02:18 AM||1811 views||13 times favorited||11 comments|
My latest project (assigned by my wife and coincidentally finished on her birthday) is a pine framed bed with cedar slats.
The dimensions were based on a queen-sized futon mattress we already had, and a vacuum cleaner. (My wife insisted on being able to quickly vacuum under the bed without using any hose attachments.)
I took inspiration for the design from a number of sources.
The interlocking boards at the foot came from lumberjocks, Nitreug (http://lumberjocks.com/projects/100479), Criskmb5150 (http://lumberjocks.com/projects/32571), and silverhalo (http://lumberjocks.com/projects/22165). Thanks guys!
The headboard design came from building adirondack chairs last summer, with Greene and Greene to thank for the plug details on the headboard and cloud-lifts on the rails, and Roy Underhill to thank for the wedged dovetail tenon that connects the side rail to the headboard.
The entire bed goes together and comes apart in minutes, with nothing but a mallet. The sides end in a half-dovetailed tenon which fits into a mortise in the headboard. The dovetail is completed by a wedge that is hammered in from the back. The footboard is then inserted into slots in the feet (which are attached permanently to the side rails). Then a center rail is inserted and cedar slats are laid over that.
My main worry was that the frame might be squeaky, since no assembly hardware is used and all the pieces just lock together like a puzzle. It does squeak a little bit, but no more than the bedframe we purchased from a futon store years ago. In fact, it’s a lot more solid than the store-bought frame.
It’s also a lot cheaper! Since I am still a beginner, I didn’t want to risk using a bunch of mahogany on an experimental design, so I made it out of $90 worth of home-store lumber:
three 8’ 2×12s, two 8’ 2×4s in pine
Slats and Headboard rails:
Eight 12’ 5/4×4s in cedar
The finish was my first try at french polishing with garnet shellac.
As usual, all done with hand tools.
I’m pretty happy with how it turned out and, more importantly, so is my wife.
Thanks again, LJs, for the inspiration.