|Project by doubleDD||posted 02-10-2015 03:31 PM||2002 views||3 times favorited||40 comments|
I needed to make a mallet that was in between my large and small size ones. I have Hickory left over from my table project so I started to build a nice looking working mallet. I like this 3 piece handle design so I used it again. It has a nice feel to it and gives me a good feeling inside using it. This one was a bit harder to steam bend for me since it has two curves in it, but worked out OK. I used Hickory and Brazilian Rosewood for the head and Hickory and Padauk for the handle to give it a nice appearance.
I made the center portion of the handle somewhat wavy and added a few copper rivets . A 1952 and 2015 penny in the head for good luck.
Weighs in at 1lb- 4oz. with a nice balanced feel to it. The length is 13 inch and the final finish hasn’t been determined yet. Only a coat of BLO for now. Thanks for looking.
I need to make a dead blow mallet to complete my set.
-- Dave, Downers Grove, Il. -------- When you run out of ideas, start building your dreams.