|Project by HighPointWW||posted 02-08-2015 07:44 PM||8085 views||61 times favorited||14 comments|
I was getting tired of assembling things on saw horses and plywood and needed a bench that addresses the usual dilemmas… had to be sized for a smaller shop, had to function as an outfeed table, needed a replaceable top, and needs to allow for storage.
Inspired by the great whispering Spagnuolo and also the Down to Earth Woodworker, I built this torsion box assembly table, modified to fit my shop.
As far as the particulars:
- The top is 42” x 60”
- The torsion box is entirely 1/2” MDF webbing and skins
- Top is covered with 1/8” hardboard, screwed into place only, and banded with poplar
- Base is 3/4” birch plywood
- Drawers are 1/2” plywood with 3/4” birch drawer fronts
- Compressor lives underneath and there are shelves/doors on the other side.
The only things left to complete are a quick connect air hose hookup, power outlet strip, and on/off switch for the compressor.