|Project by robscastle||posted 02-07-2015 09:14 AM||1413 views||1 time favorited||8 comments|
This is a kids table and chair bought at a stall, there was only one chair, It was for for my Grandchildren and I was asked to reproduce three more chairs to complete the setting.
As I had my No 4 Son staying for a week he was keen to assist with the project so we set to work.
We used a length of “Water/Swamp Gum” for the chair frames and part of the table frame.
The complete table top was replaced with a piece of veneered MDF sheet that I had as stock and the Chair seats from some recycled Kauri Pine from a dismantled cupboard.
It was a task which covered two days from the milling to final assembly and completion.
My son had his Go Pro set up and took many 30 second auto photos ( about 90 comes to mind!)of each process so it would be remis of me not to recognise the technology he used by showing various process and adding some explanations of the work we did and also the fun we had working together on something for the second generation of the family
I was given some “Water/Swamp Gum” slabs some time ago from a fellow Brisbane wood worker Jock Sloan.
We ripped various widths to match the original chair.
It was rough sawn and had enough thickness to rip in two halves and then dress to suit.
Jointing the Leg Stock:
Once we had cut all the pieces long enough to handle we set to work jointing them
Thicknessing the Leg stock
Next was into the thicknesser to obtain the correct dimensions.
Preparing the Seat Back and sides
Next came the back rests and the seat frame rails
We took some care with orientation of the best features to use hence the chalk marks.
The Biscuit Jointing Process
To joint everything all together we chose to use biscuits.
This required precise positioning so we used various shims to achieve the correct position.
The Round Diagonal braces
The design called for two diagonal braces at the bottom of the legs, dont really know the reasoning for doing it that way but it was reproduced exactly
We made the braces on the shaper from the remainig bits of stock.
Radiusing the Parts.
To ensure the same profile was achieved we then radiused all the parts
Drilling the Brace Holes
We set up a tilt vice in the drill and used a forstner bit to sink the recesses for the braces
The Dry Assembly Check
Once we had all the parts ready a dry fit up was conducted.
As you can see we were happy with the result.
Apart from replacing the top and adding a veneering edging very little was done to the table, we complely dismantled everything, (it was almost falling apart anyway !) and ran it through the drum sander at 32 Grit to remove the paint then again at 80 Grit to provide a smooth finish, then the radiused the edges we used a hand scraper to remove the remaining paint.
A couple of parts were replaced then we reassembled everything back together again.
The three chairs and table were treated with sanding sealer prior to return for final finishing coat.
The original pink chair was left in the same condition, assuming all will get painted again, otherwise it will be out with the paint stripper or maybe as an alternative build a fourth chair and complete the set.
-- Regards Robert