|Project by rockmolsen||posted 02-02-2015 09:57 PM||2039 views||10 times favorited||7 comments|
My office closed today because of all the snow here in the Hudson Valley so I was able to finish this with the extra time off!
This was a little challenging but a fun project. Let me say thanks to “poroskywood” for the inspiration and instruction. This started with re-sawing some 4/4 walnut and maple I had, then gluing them up into the panels- a total of 4. This was a bit of a challenging glue up with the curves and the thin purpleheart strips. Getting the 4 pipe clamps set as close as possible with everything glued and ready, than slowly crank each clamp seemed to work well along with having a small rubber mallet to help line things up. Closeup reveals things are a bit off. On the first glue up I did just a couple sections, let them dry and then the remainder. I will make my curves a bit more subtle on the next boards. One thing I learned is to be patient so I let all the glue ups set overnight. Sanded to 220, rounded over all edges with a 1/8” round-over bit and finished with several coats of a mineral oil/beeswax mix.. Dimensions are 17 1/2” x 10 3/4” x 3/4”.
This was a bit easier then some of the end grain boards I’ve done because there is way less sanding.Now that I’ve got one under my belt I’m looking forward to finishing the other 3. I will use cherry strips on 2 of them and try the “Alice in wonderland” method.
-- Rick --------The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have.