|Project by BassBully||posted 05-01-2007 05:29 PM||1991 views||1 time favorited||17 comments|
A few years ago (about six or seven) my wife and I made this end table for two friends of ours that were getting married. They still have it today and I requested that they send these pictures to me so I could post it. It looks like it might have a couple of scratches in the finish now (top left) but that’s expected since they’ve moved a lot.
These are good friends of ours and at the time we didn’t know what to get them for their wedding. Since we were in college, I hadn’t been able to do any woodworking for awhile and was having withdrawals so this gave me an opportunity to cure my itch. My wife and I faced three main challenges with this project. First, we didn’t know what to make them, second, we didn’t have any plans, and third, the only woodworking shop available to us was 20 minutes away at my uncle’s house.
Even though the end table now sits over 750 miles away from us (Are friends now live in Dallas, TX), it brings back good memories for my wife and I. The 20 minute drives back and forth from my uncle’s shop allowed my wife and I to have great one-on-one times. Also, it was a joy to work with my wife on this project and take our mind off of school. She is a great helper.
My uncle’s shop was pretty basic. He had a table saw, drill press, chisels, and miter saw. I purchased new saw blades because his weren’t very sharp. I also let him have the blades as a thank you for letting us use his space. The plans were drawn up all in my head. I measured a couple of couches’ arm rests to get general height and depth measurements. I started by creating the top first and that gave me the parameters for the base. After the top was done, I dimensioned the base to how aesthetically pleasing it would be to the top. Once the base measurements were done, I knew the measurements for the drawer and bottom shelf.
The top squares were not designed to be a checkerboard—people usually ask. I actually wanted diamond shapes but I had to save time somewhere and would’ve had to make jigs for accuracy. The oak squares overlay 5/8” pine plywood. The oak trim that fences in the squares were tongue and grooved and glued onto the squares/plywood. The top was fastened using the Kreg system. The legs and sides were joined together using mortise and tenon joints (drilled & chiseled). The drawer is dovetailed using the cheaper Craftsmen dovetail jig and it worked great. I used Minwax Golden Oak stain and semi-gloss poly sprayed on with a Wagner paint sprayer.
-- There are three types of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't!