|Project by rockmolsen||posted 02-01-2015 08:33 PM||762 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
A friends wife had asked me to make her an unusual bowl. I rescued some pieces of walnut from a firewood pile back in October. The wood had sat for a while but I did manage to get a few bowl blanks. I rough turned one blank the same day, it had a moister content around 28%. I left it about 1” thick and stuffed it in a brown bag with the shavings and have been checking it. When I checked it the other day it was at 7% so back on the lathe it went.
As i was removing the tendon and cleaning up the bottom using a jam chuck the small remainder of the tenon broke and caused a few dings that I was able to sand most of out. What I realized is I had too much pressure from the tail stock. (Makes me realize I really need to start assembling my vacuum chuck.) My friends wife didn’t seem to mind. Sanded to 600 and used a mineral/oil beeswax finish. Its 8” in diameter by about 5” high.
-- Rick --------The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have.