|Project by JaLatham||posted 01-30-2015 10:51 PM||888 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
This shaving set has been a long time in the making. A few of you may remember when I posted pictures of my shop. In those pictures somewhere is a cherry burl that a friend and I found on a tree that fell behind our church. That was a few years ago and I couldn’t think of a project where I could use it. So it sat forgotten under piles of shavings until I found a cheap lathe on craigslist. The lathe was easier to learn than I thought it would be( even though I was terrified for the first few minutes). And really, turning was what kept me from doing this for the years I’ve had the burl. I’m glad I finally got the courage up. One other thing. The handle on the razor was way lighter than I wanted it to be, so I drilled a 1/4 inch hole 3/4 of the way down the handle, and poured in some lead that I melted from a shotgun shell I opened up. Then I plugged it and put a spar urethane on both handles.