|Project by birraej1||posted 12-27-2008 09:57 AM||1173 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
A few years back my wife was going to buy a “shoe cubby” and I offered, instead, to build one. This made sense at the time for a number of reasons, all of which currently escape me. For some reason, my wife decided to forgo the immediate gratification of having a piece of inexpensive functional furniture and substitute, instead, a 3 week wait as I cobbled together something in my spare time. The should be a small section on this website devoted to honoring such spouses.
We were enamored by the slanted design of the cubby shelves and decided that in addition to this angled feature, we would enjoy having shelf heights of varying degrees.
But, there posed a problem.. to keep the unit of equal depth, the angles had to be changed to accommodate varying shelf heights. This was the project where I learned that one really needs to draw things out before one starts cutting. This was also the project where I learned that thick all-in-one finishes like a min-wax Bombay Mahogany get gummy quickly.
Still, the routing on the piece looked nice up close and at the end of the day shoes and magazines cover any minor flaws and the piece sits dutifully in our bedroom. This was the second piece I had ever tried to design “from scratch”.
-- Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass -- it's about learning how to dance in the rain.