|Project by JerryL||posted 04-28-2007 05:56 AM||1913 views||4 times favorited||12 comments|
This is my most recent telescope project. It started because I’ve always wanted and Edmund Astroscan. When I finally could afford one I decided to build one instead. I used a model car finish in place of natural because I needed to paint the acrylic globe with something, and how many times in life to you get to color something metal-flake blue?
The first picture is of the complete scope on it’s “bucket” mount. The next two show most of the internals that are used to support the mirror and the poles for the ring that will hold the secondary mirror, focuser (the place where you look) and the finder.
As a woodworking challenge imagine putting together a spherical puzzle that needs to contain an adjustable platform that is accurate to within a fraction of an inch. The key to that isn’t in the construction tolerances but in some spring loaded 1/4-20 screws that allow everything to be tilted to make it all line up.
I’d also like to add a plug for my favorite component site, McMaster-Carr. It’s like having the biggest hardware store in world right down the street.
-- Jerry L.