|Project by Zuki||posted 04-28-2007 01:13 AM||2251 views||1 time favorited||20 comments|
Here is my interpretation of the Thorsen House Side Table. As you can see I have put a couple of twists to make it my own while keeping a couple of elements to show the table’s heritage.
What makes my version of this table unique is that creating it took not only a labor of limited skill but a labor of love. My wife has environmental illness and is sensitive to all synthetic products such as glue, press board, stains and varnishes. Creating this table was not only a challenge for this contest, but a greater challenge to create a piece of furniture my wife could enjoy without causing her to become ill.
As with most woodworkers, I first canvassed my “stock” of wood already on hand . . . rough 2×4 spruce and some D4S 1×6 pine. Not much to pick from . . . but what the heck. I made the legs from the 2×4 and the remainder from the left over bits of pine. After rough cutting and lightly sanding the other pieces I started the cutouts. Hoping to use the templates as a guide I quickly realized that they were not printed to scale . . . darn. I broke out my compass and ruler and laid out the designs. I was off to the drill press where I popped a few holes, rough cut the openings with a jig saw and finished things up with my table mounted router and ¼ straight bit. The stretchers and apron bottoms were accomplished with a jig (the first I ever made) and my trusty router and flush trim bit.
As you can see I put my own twist on the top by incorporating a removable ceramic tile. Four pieces of pine, held together by pocket screws (my favorite way of joining wood) and my faithful router . . . made a unique top that can be easily altered to match your mood. In this case you would either have to be in a gray or beige mood . . . but you get my point.
As I do not have mortise and tenoning equipment I broke out my American Standard pocket hole jig and attached the aprons after I laid out and drilled all the holes in the legs. Next came the stretchers and shelf which were attached through a set of holes in the legs.
It was at this junction that I wanted to spend some money (besides the new router bits) on the project. I trudged off to a lumber yard and asked them if they had any dark coloured wood. He suggested walnut and sent me out back to see “da Boys”. Well “da Boys” pointed me in the direction of the darkest corner of the warehouse where there was a small amount of walnut. I picked out a suitable piece and headed back to the light hoping they could cut me off 2ft as I only wanted to use it to plug the holes in the table. Out came the electric chainsaw and off came 2ft. When I went back out in the shop and reached for my wallet . . . the guy behind the counter told me to take the wood as it would be to much trouble to write up a bill of sale. Whooo Hooooo !!!
Back in the garage I spent an evening cutting 39 5/16 plugs for the table. I could see the finish line. After plugging all the holes, attaching the top and giving a final sanding . . . I was done.
I love the little table and the skills I developed on this project will only make my next project that much more fun.
I hope you like it.