|Project by avickery1||posted 01-23-2015 05:44 PM||2548 views||4 times favorited||12 comments|
Here’s my first attempt at a traditional style workbench. I discovered right away that it’s very challenging to find good boards at the “box stores”. I had optimistic plans to include those cool looking dovetails on the outer skirt but those are going to have to wait since my skills are not up to that level yet. The top is 24×84 and 4” thick with a 5” thick skirt. I used a whole gallon of tightbond II holding it all together. I used a few deck screws on the legs and the end skirt boards but I’m going to remove them and replace with 1/2” dowels. In order to keep it from twisting, I glued the top together 2 boards at a time. The dog holes are 1” and I’m going to make oak dogs for them. I got the vise off Amazon pretty cheap, it’s foreign but seems solid and works well. I threw the OSHA book out the window and cut the box joints on the corners of the skirt with my old Skil wormdrive saw (with the blade guard clamped open of course). I cut them slightly undersized and finished them with a chisel, they came out way better than I expected. The top is fairly flat but I’m going to make a router sled and mill it down good tomorrow. Now I have to build something on it so the wife will let me keep buying tools.