|Project by Paul Bucalo||posted 01-23-2015 05:28 PM||1010 views||0 times favorited||6 comments|
A couple of weeks ago I decided to make the grandson a birthday gift from the dungeon workshop. A week ago I settled on a kid’s sized tool box that he could use for his art supplies. The decision was made based on a discussion with his mother and the limitations I have to contend with in the present state of the workshop.
While my present skill level will be the ultimate decider on how well this turned out, insult to injury came from working temperatures barely above 50 degrees F, lack of adequate build space, and the general disarray I still have to contend with in my dungeon workshop.
Working termperatures each day of between 52 and 54 degrees F limited the types of finishes I could use and lengthened the drying times for glues and finishes. The project was assembled with TiteBond Original Formula glue, the slowest setting glue I had that could handle the low temperature. I thought the cold would slow the setting process, but in fact, it still set way too fast, causing some misalignment that could have been prevented with a slower setting glue. The finish is one coat of Danish oil topped off by Original Formula Johnson’s Paste Wax.
The original intent was to use milled pallet wood and store-bought dowels. I didn’t have wide enough board for the ends. Had I more time, I would have laminated two jointed board and ripped to the needed 5” width. Instead, I used knotted sections from a 1”x6” white pine construction pine board to try to maintain continuity with pallet wood.
The lack of construction space was a real pain. The only flat surface to assemble on was the left side of my table saw, about a foot and half by two feet in size. I should have taken pictures of the 6 foot long clamps used on this small surface, just for the laughs. When woodworkers say you can never have enough clamps, this is an axiom that cannot be refuted.
Numerous mistakes were made in the build. I had intended on using exposed dowels on the joints between ends and rails. Not enough time. Other choices weren’t made for the same reason. Some valuable lessons learned in this build.
The photos shown were slightly adjusted for color balance and brightness. The overhead lights in the kitchen are fluorescents impose a yellow tint to any pictures I take with my camera. I tried to remove as much as I could. Just imagine less ‘yellow’.
The tool box will be presented to my grandson upon arrival at his house late tomorrow morning. At eleven, I’m sure he will be awed for all of one minute and then be pulling me by the arm to show me how he plays his new Minecraft game. Ah well, on to the next project.
-- -- Paul Bucalo, Norwich NY USA