|Project by SPalm||posted 2077 days ago||3743 views||8 times favorited||11 comments|
I joined the wave of cutting board building. This was a first for me. Great to be back in the shop.
The first one is a basket weave made with maple, cherry, and walnut. I ran out of 6/4 maple so I used some 3/4 and adjusted the size of the walnut blocks to enlarge the board. It is a foot square.
The second pic are some walnut and maple increasing strip type boards. I actually made three of these but one has already been given away. The strips were bandsawed to approximate width and then reduced to the desired size with my thickness sander. I’ve really grown to love that sander.
The third pic is of an endgrain board made with cut-offs of my daughter’s beech counter top. The counter itself is not endgrain, but I took the several small cut-offs, flipped then around, glued them all up, and sanded like crazy.
Here is a trick that I found useful. To level a raw board before sanding, I added several increasing levels of blue masking tape until the board would not rock. It is shown upside down. I then thickness sanded the top until smooth, flipped the board over, removed the tape, and sanded the other side.
This is a pic of the glue up of the basket weave board. I used a slab of granite to keep all the parts level. I am happy that I practiced the clamping before applying the glue. It paid off. This could have been a frustrating glue up. It went without a hitch.
Just a stupid pic, but these cheap little bench dogs have come in real handy. Just dowels.
This is random. Here is walnut bowl that I turned last week. This was the first turning that I have done in over thirty years. It was a kick to get back on the lathe.
Thanks for looking,
-- -- I'm no rocket surgeon