|Project by Jeremy Osterhouse||posted 01-23-2015 01:43 PM||1028 views||3 times favorited||1 comment|
I’ve been working on this off and on for 6 months. I finally decided that I’d give to to my wife for Christmas so that I’d finish it.
It’s inspired by this project and I originally planned to not have the backing board. I didn’t think through the strength of the joints and after it fell apart in my hands two days before the deadline, I moped for a couple hours before working out this modification.
It’s not quite perfect, but getting all of the spacing and alignment right was tough.
The idea is that each dowel is long enough to hold a spool and bobbin. I measured a couple of my wife’s spools for the dowel diameter—1/4 inch—but didn’t check the bobbins. Too late, I discovered that the bobbins have a narrower hole and so I made another on-the-fly modification: tapering the ends of all 60 pegs. I put a peg in my drill and then ran it against my 12 inch disc sander. That’s 60 grit, which did the tapering. I further sanded the pegs while it was in the drill. Repeat 59 times. I think I just did a quick sand at 150 grit.
Except for the dowels, it’s all wood I had laying around—red oak, I think. Finished with a couple coats of polyurethane, except for the dowels.
-- Jeremy, N Indiana