|Project by DaleMaley||posted 01-21-2015 01:17 AM||926 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
A co-worker asked me to repair his circa 1920 girl’s Singer sewing machine.
I believe it was his grandmother’s sewing machine. My co-worker’s 4 daughters actually sewed things with it when they were children, about 25 years ago.
The handle got lost, so my co-worker sawed off a piece of pink broomstick, to make a new handle.
He requested a new handle, and I volunteered to upgrade the old pine base to a nice oak one.
I turned a new handle of red oak on the lathe. I used a piece of 1/4” copper tube as the sleeve, for the steel screw to apply load to….......allowing the wood handle to spin freely.
The base is red oak with cherry stain. I used grain filler on the top to get a super-smooth finish.
This sewing machine is ready for another generation of girl’s to play with it…....which will be my co-worker’s grand-daughters.
To see my trials & tribulations on this project, see http://dalemaley.webs.com/1920singersewingmach.htm
-- Dale, Illinois, http://dalemaley.webs.com/