|Project by Nick_R||posted 01-20-2015 11:34 PM||875 views||1 time favorited||3 comments|
Hello fellow Lumberjocks!
It has been a very long time since I posted a project, not because I have not been making sawdust but rather I just felt I was in a rut and did not do anything different.
So here is my attempt at a segmented bowl. I saw some Youtube videos on making them and I decided to give it a try. Well….it is really hard! not at all like the videos’ ;)
This is try 4 or 5 the others are fireplace fodder.
This one came out nice it is about 8” high and the open end is about 6.5” diameter.
I used mahogany and birds eye maple with a spray lacquer finish. The process is really grueling because everything has to be glued and re glued then mounted to the lather and then it has to be taken down with a chisel very slowly as to avoid the dreaded gouge.
I set each layer rotated 10 degrees so the maple sections would start touching then separate a little more each layer.
I was able to turn it thin enough for light to penetrate the maple. (last pic)
I really like how this came out and started working on a different one.
I hope you guys like it as much as I do…. thanks for looking Jocks
-- Hope for the best but plan for the worst.