Dodec spinning wheel

  • Advertise with us
Project by rpd posted 01-20-2015 10:08 PM 2515 views 2 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch

I made this Dodec spinning wheel in Sept – October 2013 as a birthday present for my daughter Sarah.
The plans are available on Ravelry, (you will need to join)

4 comments so far

View bushmaster's profile


1252 posts in 1703 days

#1 posted 01-21-2015 12:54 AM

I saw one on here the other day, interesting. Not to many of those being used now adays other that a hobby. I grew up on a farm where they had did this from the homestead days, we had sheep, washed the wood, carded it, spun and then knitted. very nice job you did. most of ours had two power cords as the top part has to spin and wind. Not sure how the single string works.

-- Brian - Hazelton, British Columbia

View Rick M.'s profile

Rick M.

7703 posts in 1801 days

#2 posted 01-21-2015 06:29 AM

Nice looking. I saw one recently at a fair and took pictures of it.


View keninmaine's profile


1 post in 570 days

#3 posted 04-04-2015 03:41 AM

I love the sleek modifications you made to the original wheel design! Can I ask how you accomplished this, especially the inner angle on each half of the wheel that, when assembled, creates the ‘valley’ for the drive band? Since I don’t have a lot of woodworking tools, I may have to stick the the simpler design that the plans call for. But I would love to incorporate this on my finished spinning wheel if possible!

View rpd's profile


12 posts in 1353 days

#4 posted 04-04-2015 02:09 PM

For the wheel segments I worked out on paper what shape they needed to be to meet the segment on either side. Then I glued the paper to some foam board and made a template (photo added above).

I ripped the board for the rim at a bevel as in the plans, traced the shape of the segments from the template, rough cut on the band saw and then sanded to the lines using the disk sander on my Shopsmith 10ER. The bevel on the short edges was also done on the disk sander.

I was pleased with the way it turned out but it was fiddly and took a lot of time to get it to fit right, (some filler was required) and the distinctive look the original was lost. If you have limited tools, build the original design first, you can always make a different wheel later and change it out if you feel a need.

The other mod I made was to add a spacer block between the receiver and and the stem instead of the adjustment nuts. Simple and very effective.

The disks on the spindles and the one on the back that the axle bolt goes through were cut with a hole saw, and then the edges were smoothed and rounded by sanding.

Hope it goes well for you, it is a fun project.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics