|Project by mikeycordes||posted 01-19-2015 03:50 PM||1028 views||1 time favorited||3 comments|
I’m still relatively new to woodworking. This is the first project that I’m truly happy with. I learned a lot, and can’t wait to put my learning to the test on my next project.
The chest is made from aromatic cedar and cherry, and held together largely by pocket screws (I know, I know, pocket screws). I watched a ton of youtube videos, read a ton of articles about how to build a blanket chest, but in the end, I took a bit from all of them to come up with a design that worked with the tools I had at hand. I spent quite a long time sitting and staring at my stack of lumber contemplating wood movement and how I would deal with it. I feel pretty confident that I compensated enough with the spacing/joinery that it won’t crack or wobble when summer heat/humidity comes around. I finished it with 5 coats of 25%Boiled Linseed Oil 25%Semi-gloss Polyurethane 50%Mineral spirits, sanding between coats with a final sanding with 500 grit sandpaper. I used a piano hinge for the lid. I got some lid supports, but didn’t like that they would only support a 65 degree open angle. I may add better supports in the future, but with the chest against the wall it’s not as much of a concern.
I hope everyone enjoys it. This is the first time I have posted a project on any online forum… be gentle :)