|Project by ilyac||posted 01-19-2015 03:34 AM||2255 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
I picked up some 3/4 in red oak from HD, ripped and cut it down to size. I put it together with rabbets, which I cut on the saw and cleaned up with my rabbet plane, put an angle cut all around, and glued it up. I started with little hinges, but there were pretty flimsy so I switched it out to piano hinges and added a little latch on the front for good measure.
Finished it off with some satin wipe on poly.
- Getting all the rabbets to sit together nicely and evenly with no gaps may actually be impossible. OK, it’s possible I need just to not rush through that step.
- Matching the angle I cut on the sides was to the front & back pieces took a few tried to get right. next time I need to set that up better
- When making an angle cut, make sure it’s on the correct side of the previously cut rabbet.
Girlfriend loved it, so I consider it a success. This was also the first thing I made on my new Delta 36-725 (which I will review after I use it a bit more, but so far I love it)