|Project by kenn||posted 12-16-2008 11:16 PM||1949 views||1 time favorited||11 comments|
My youngest daughter has been playing piano for about 10 years. The piano is right above my shop so I often get to enjoy her practicing while I’m woodworking. When I saw these piano pen inlay kits, I knew I had to give them a try. I made one for her and one for her piano teacher and one for the scrap pile.
We don’t often post our screwups on lumberjocks, but I thought I’d share my expensive lessons learned photo. That third picture was my first attempt. I lost a black key during turning but was able to mostly recreate it with CA glue and wood chips. Unfortunately the CA glue led to the black bleeding throughout the holly. Then I had a white key pop out while turning. Ultimately I put finish on it just to see what it would look like and regrouped.
To successful turn these, my advice is lay open the holly inlay like a book, coat all areas where the keys mate with thick CA, carefully but quickly place the holly in the rosewood, coat the tube with glue and insert it, hold the whole gluey mess together with gloved hands until its dry. Then I flowed thin CA glue everywhere I could, turn at a little slower speed- I used about 800 rpm, use freshly sharpened tools, take small cuts, take your time, use a scraper to clean up the finished pen- I used a sharp skew, then skip to the finest sandpaper you feel you can use- I went to 400 grit to start then went up through the micro mesh to 12000.
-- Every cloud has a silver lining