|Project by woodbutcher11||posted 01-14-2015 05:28 AM||4329 views||6 times favorited||11 comments|
One of the worst dust offenders in my shop has to be my mitre saw. The small dust bag that came with the saw captured about 10 % on a good day with the remaining 90% spewing over every surface area and lodging as fine dust in my lungs. Using a piece of an old bed footboard that I had in my lumber pile I cut a half-round out of it and secured plexiglass to it and a couple of maple uprights to form a shroud above and behind my saw. A 4 inch dust port in the top and a 2 1/2 inch one on the plexiglass connect to my cyclone dust collector. From below I snake up a dust hose from a shop vac that plugs into an IVAC unit that the mitre saw also plugs into . This allows for automatic dust collection when the mitre saw fires up and for a few seconds after. Since the mitre saw has to swivel 45 degrees in either direction I fashioned a gasket along the swivel path using a piece of a leather satchel . This helps keep the dust from going below the saw . The fences on either side of the mitre saw anchor to my bench using threaded brass inserts but can be removed and hang from the end of my bench when I need the bench top to be free of objects or when I want to use the bench vise that I converted to an end vise after seeing a similar one in Fine Woodworking in Christian Becksvoort’s shop. The fences have movable stops that glide along the top of the fences.
Is there still dust? A little bit but it vacuums up easily and is contained in the shroud.