|Project by Blackbear||posted 01-12-2015 02:32 PM||2087 views||12 times favorited||8 comments|
Sometimes projects I make are not difficult, but necessary. With these projects I strive for practicing exacting stock preparation, measuring and cut execution. No matter the project there is room to hone my skills. This shoe rack was born of necessity. We have a small closet where everyone kicks off their shoes and hurls them into a big heap, at least they did. I dislike clutter and disorganization, even though I help create it, so decided to make a shoe rack to tidy up the area.
Most of the wood used was free pine I got from the same place I bought my table saw a while back. It was dirty and beat up, but over sized enough to straighten, flatten and make nice. Lots of half lap joints in this one made with my dado set. The two racks are all one piece, glued together with no mechanical fasteners. The four legs are fastened onto the racks with two screws each so you can take the shoe rack apart if necessary. The racks are rabbeted into the legs for strength. I actually had to assemble two of the legs onto the rack inside of the closet, since with them on you could not rotate the assembly from a vertical position, necessary to get through the door, to a horizontal position without biding on the wall. This required a $10 right angle screw driving rachet, handy little tool to have.
My wife wanted the pine stained, so I used a charcoal “classics” stain. On top of that was two coats of urethane for water resistance.
A few things learned; 1) Adding the 3/8” slats running width wise on the racks added a tremendous amount of structural integrity to the racks. Before adding these the two inside strips of wood running width wise would flex quite a bit. They are only 3/4” square stock running 53” so that makes sense. Now with the slats, there is practically no flexing. It reminds me a bit of an open torsion box.
2) Putting Urethane on a surface with so many nooks and crannies, with the sanding required between coats, is fairly difficult.
This is one of the first projects that I completely drew in sketchup before ever cutting a board, and I must say it made the actual stock preparation and build go so much smoother and quicker. I will attempt to use sketchup for most future projects for this reason.