|Project by bensaw||posted 12-09-2008 05:33 AM||62743 views||7 times favorited||12 comments|
We moved into our house about 2 years ago. The back den was a horribly cold and dark area which I used to house the lawn mower for the first few months we lived here. We decided to remodel the back den and hired a guy who gave us a really lowball offer. After about a month of incessant coffee breaks and cell phone calls while his elderly father in-law actually did the work, we started to doubt the guy’s ability. When he didn’t show up for a week we fired him and I took over the project.
He had installed our new window which was actually three windows joined together in one unit. He did a very poor job of framing it out and starting on the casing, apron, etc. My wife had just wanted one thing out of the room and that was a nice craftsman style casing around the window. So I removed most of his bad work and surprised myself by producing the project you see above.
It was a great first project….(any project which allows me to buy a new table saw and router is a great project!!) I took many trips to the lumber yard to find materials. Most of it is 1 inch white pine. The apron on the bottom is actually faked out…it’s just a piece of molding because I cut the stool a bit too shallow. That’s why you see that thin banding under the stool…it’s hiding the fact that the apron is rounded on both edges. :-)
The header on top was assembled on the ground….it’s a 10 foot 1×10 with crown molding glued and nailed along the top and a thin 1 inch wide strip of molding glued and nailed to the bottom. Then it was lifted into place on top of the stiles.
I really wish the pieces were all completely flush and that I could have gotten the stool to actually be level…things that only I will ever notice, I’m sure.
The whole thing was coated in one coat of polyeurethane….in these pictures it is raw.