|Project by mreza||posted 12-08-2008 06:16 AM||2519 views||10 times favorited||19 comments|
Here is our bed I built last year, after being on my to do list for a long time.
This is a queen size bed made out of Walnut with Maple inlays.
It was the most challenging project I have ever done since I started woodworking in 2005.
The general design I had in mind was to make a bed with fluted posts that would catch the eye at first sight.
Then I added several other ingredients to the design, such as the finials as well as the inlays and the curved cap and molding on the tops of the footboard and headboard. The posts were not as challenging as I thought, even though I am fairly new into turning.
Most of the time of building the posts was spent on building the jigs for the flutes and reeds.
The most time consuming part overall was building the curved cap on the tops and the
curved molding below them. All of them are done by bent lamination and then routed on the router table.
Almost all the pieces are attached using traditional mortise and tenon or floating tenon.
Everything with the woodworking part went pretty well and I am quite happy with that.
The finish is boiled linseed oil, followed by two coats of Shellac, and then brushed on water-based poly.
The posts are made out of lamination of two 8/4 boards and the finished size is about 3+3/4”.
The inlays are 1/4” wide out of Maple. The measurements are 88.5”x65.5” which houses a platform of size 80”x60” for the mattress.
The headboard posts are 60” high and the foot board posts are 40”.
It took about 4 months.